Wednesday, July 31, 2019

The Harlequin of my Eye

Hello and welcome. 🙂

I have done very poorly in my history with Scarab beetles. No species has bred or lived very long for one reason or another. Most recently though, I have gotten my hands on a very pretty one that has been cruising right on along for me and they shall be the topic of this post. Let's jump right in.

Rewind back to Spring of this year and me and good buddy, Dave Huth, had been chatting after he took an interest in some beetles of mine. He asked if I might be interested in a trade and after reviewing his availability list, I gladly accepted. The box with the goods inside was held for a few days to find a good shipping window and then when the time came, it was sent out. I received them and was very pleased to find that almost all 10 or so Gymnetis thula larvae were fine! One individual seemed to have likely gotten internally injured in shipping and consequently died only days after its arrival, but everybody else was 100% healthy. I figure it's now time to give you the low down on these newest of Scarab additions.

Gymnetis thula, the Harlequin Flower Beetle, used to be the species Gymnetis caseyi for eons before it underwent a name change just last year. It can take up to about a year for the rather fuzzy, small-headed larvae to mature, but once they do, they are transformed into one of the most beautiful beetles in the U.S. The adults, which are usually about an inch in length, are adorned in contrasting splashes of black and yellow that would make even any artist impressed. Additionally, the yellow coloration can change appearance within a matter of minutes from greenish to a vivid, pure tone based on humidity. Adult females are reportedly very prolific and people have gone as far to say that they've had more larvae than they knew what to do with. LOL All these amazing qualities and very, very easy care! Larvae do fine on a simple diet of compost and dead leaves while adults are happy chewing on bits of fruit.

My nine individuals are composed of 6 third instar larvae, one suspected first instar larva, one individual in a pupal chamber, and one adult. I'm keeping these guys in a 6 qt. Sterilite container with seven 1/4" holes on each end for ventilation. The substrate is a mix of compost soil and dead leaves, which I keep moderately moist and at about 3 inches in depth.

Bam! 😛




Adult

Pupal chamber

Adult and pupal chamber


3rd instar larva

Suspected 1st instar larva

3rd instar larva and suspected 1st instar larva


Enclosure

I've been loving everything about this delightful Scarab and I can not wait until I have a large, thriving colony! That will be it for today and I'll meet you right where I always do - next post. 🙂

3 comments:

  1. Very nice, I've always loved the look of this species, they are so pretty! 😁 Hope your colony thrives and breeds well for you!

    BTW that big chunky L3 in the first two larval pics looks like it's gonna pupate REAL soon, when they start developing that yellow coloration you know pupation is imminent, (I still know a FEW facts about Scarab larvae! 😂).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here; I'm not exactly sure why I waited until only a couple months ago to get some. lol Thanks! They seem easy enough, so I'm sure they will. :)

      Huh, maybe all of my large larvae are going to pupate soon then as I didn't notice that it looked any different from the others.

      Delete
    2. Better late than never lol! :D Good luck with them!

      Maybe, though that L3 sitting alongside that L1 doesn't look quite as yellow, (might be the lighting though).

      Delete