Friday, August 9, 2019

Spino Revival

Hello and welcome. 🙂

Last time Porcellio spinicornis was featured on this blog, the colony was just barely getting started again after a failed first try. Oh......oh boy have things changed. LOL Let's drop right in.

Stupendous - translations of this word include "extremely impressive" or "causing astonishment or wonder". No question it could be used to describe how my Brickwork Isopod colony is doing right now. 😍 I'm very pleased to announce that in the time between last post on the species to now, it has grown hundreds strong! In fact, I can actually use them as regular feeders for a few of the (admittedly small amount of) predatory arthropods I have! The road that has lead to this point might not be what you would have expected. The initial mature female and her babies were trudging along and could have very well started a thriving colony themselves, but things were still on rather shaky ground and moving slower than I liked. I ended up figuring that I'd try and introduce some more individuals to the group to strengthen it and speed up the process of populating the enclosure. I had a very tough time finding even one in the location where I had spotted the others, so when I had the opportunity to acquire a Canadian strain, that's exactly what I did. Looking back on it now, I wish I hadn't mixed blood lines, but oh well. lol

The bloom is real. 💥









Mixed-size individuals

Smaller individual
Hopefully you guys enjoyed this joyous update on the current state of the colony! That's all this brain can conjure up for now and I'll meet you right where I always do - next post. 🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment